Monday, December 31, 2012

Vang Vieng 1/1/13

    Last night I went to celebrate the new year at an Irish pub here In Vang Vieng. Rather than enjoying my self as much as maybe I should have, the night just proved to reiterate why I love being in the wilderness away from that alcohol fueled madness. A lot of the tourism in Vang Vieng comes from kids from Europe and America looking to party for a few days and then go back home. Unfortunately this promotes very irresponsible tourism damaging to the area's local culture and causes prices to inflate wildly in comparison to other places in Asia.
   Despite its wild party and dwindling Lao culture, vang vieng has some incredible outdoor activities around. Yesterday I went tubing through a cave that had a river running through it and kayaking down the river, not so much a rapid river in the dry season, but amazing views of the country.
   Today I went for a hike into the nearby hills with no particular goal in mind. While walking brought the rice fields I was joined by a group of 8, twelve year old Lao kids, with juice boxes bulging out of their pockets. We continued together to the top of a small rocky mountain overlooking Vang Vieng. After taking a few pictures on top I started to head back down when Bu, one of the kids yelled after me.
Bu said "hey guy! Money tip guy. Money tip"
Because he had walked up with me he was under impression that he guided me up. Yeah right kid! This isn't my first time up the side of a mountain!
This is one example of the impression that wealthy tourists leave behind when they willfully hand out their money. It causes locals to think that every tourist is rich and can be taken advantage of. After another day or two here I will be making my way to the more chilled out climbing area in Laos, called Thakhek. Should be a fun few weeks here in Laos. Then it's off to India!!

1 comment:

  1. I like this one. Keep soaking it in. It'll take way more time, money, and effort to learn as much back home.

    ReplyDelete