Thursday, December 27, 2012

Cat Ba island December 27

      Vietnam trip is becoming to be a little on the boring side. Not many climbers are left on the island during the slow season so I haven't been able to find anyone to climb with. The town of Cat Ba itself is fine as a jumping off point to explore the surrounding area, but since I'm stuck in it all day it's beginning to wear on me. The constant construction and metal cutting outside my hotel hasn't helped either.
     Today as I was sitting on my balcony reading I began to get a little stir crazy and left my room with intention of going for a walk on the pier. However when I reached the bottom floor lobby I realized the staff had left the small hotel and closed the metal security gate, this trapping me inside. Annoyed and beginning to get hungry I stood on my balcony for 5 minutes or so before the idea hit me. "I have a climbing rope, a harness, and the know-how to rappel off of this fourth story balcony!!"  Delighted by the idea of rappelling off my balcony onto a crowded street in Vietnam, that's exactly what I did :) Try to keep me cooped up? I don't think so!
     As you can tell my boredom has resulted to such acts and as a result I have decided to prematurely leave Cat Ba. The plan is to take a bus leaving tomorrow morning to Linh Binh, Vietnam, where I will stay probably for just a night or two to check out a national park and a few other attractions. Then it's onward to Vang Vieng, Laos!

No comments:

Post a Comment