Thursday, December 13, 2012

My apologies to some readers if at times this blog seems like more of a climbing blog than a travel blog. However, the past two days have been consumed by climbing, so I must report to the climbing community. Yesterday I sent my first 5.12b in Asia, it was a 35 meter endurathon on steep slippery, sloping holds. Feel a rush of confidence, my new climbing partner John, and I jumped another 5.12b route which wore me out to the point of failure and I was lowered off to finish the day. 
   Today we went to an area I had not yet been to. Just outside a nearby village, Gao Tia, we set out to a steep limestone face, nestled up on a hillside above the town. After one 5.10d warm up we skipped any grades intermediate, and went for a 5.12a which we each completed on the first run at it. Once again, feeling confident, we moved onto an interesting looking 5.12b that climbs in between two toufas. (A toufa is a rock formation common to limestone, shaped like a vertical pole with protruding features unique to every toufa.) This route would have been a perfect photo opportunity. Unfortunately, climbing photos are only possible with an odd numbered amount of people. However tomorrow we are going to moon hill, hopefully with five people. So I'll try to get some pictures to post on Facebook from the day.
    My new climbing partner has been a huge help to motivate me to climb harder routes, due to the fact were both at about the same level. The other two climbers who traveled here from New Hampshire are interesting people as well. One of them, Alex, is nineteen and is majoring in biology. He's told me that a program in his school will allow him to and a group of students to travel from the Banff, Canada, through the Rockies, all the way to Colorado. Observing and studying different ecosystems and geology along the way. Alex's climb partner, Tom, was born in China and speaks Chinese. Which has been extremely helpful the few days. Thanks to Tom next time I want to order food to take away to a climbing area I can avoid my language block act of charades, simply by saying "di zoh" :)
  Aside from climbing to I was stung by a hornet who didn't take kindly to my swat, while I still thought it was just a fly. For the rest of the day I had to belay John in a winter coat doubling as hornet armor.
  On a more positive note, I found a new china snack that might would be great to add to my on-the-go lunches. I've never had chestnuts, but it turns out they are delicious, meaty nuts that are plentiful in china. I love different country's food, it's a reason in its' self to travel. What will I have for dinner tonight? Duck and ginseng soup? Maybe get brave and get a snail platter, or pig brains?(yeah I saw it on a menu) I also saw "old duck" on a menu. I'm hoping something was list in translation,because that doesn't sound very appetizing. 
Lovin' china
-Jordan 

No comments:

Post a Comment