In preparation of a long climbing day tomorrow I used today to rest, read, and get my first Chinese massage. Massages here, or at least the masseuse I went to, are more expensive than thailand's $6 massages on the beach. Still pocket change in comparison to massage prices in the states, I paid $15 for a 60 minute, herbal oil massage, with a dome heater directed at me. I'm telling you people of committed lives, drop everything and come to china, the massage will be worth the 24 hours of travel alone!
Before my massage I had a series of unfortunate events occur that I came out of with no more than a 50¥ ($9) hole in my wallet. First as I was walking to a late breakfast, passing by a small construction site with bamboo scaffolding erected outside the building, a meter long section of bamboo fell from the sky above and hit the tip of my shoe. Left wide-eyed and thankful I was an 11.5 shoe size length further ahead, I continued on with my day. After breakfast I strolled back to my room, with a well deserved rest day smile on my face. i then decided to make a cup of Chinese green tea with the electric tea kettle provided by the hostel. Once my water was hot enough I poured it into my porcelain mug, and went back to my reading while the tea steeped. Unfortunately I did not realize had used all the water in the kettle and subsequently forgot to turn off the hot plate under the plastic kettle. As I was reading my new novel by Cheryl Strayed, "Wild ( lost and then found on the pacific crest trail)" I saw a bright flash of light in my upward peripheral vision. Turns out when the tea kettle is heated dry the plastic ignites quite fast. Narrowly avoided the drapes from being lit on fire as well I grabbed the flaming plastic, threw it into the shower, and doused it with water in a hurry. After I rid my room of burnt plastic smell I went to the nearest super market and replaced the kettle for 50 yuan.
I'm not quite sure how to analyze yesterday's unlucky rocky fall at the crag, and today's close calls. Either I'm very lucky for not being harmed or burning down the climber's-inn hostel, or very unlucky for having experienced any of it. I think I'll chose very lucky and as my family would say continue to "live my life like I'm in looney toons". If the shaft of bamboo would have struck my noggin or the rock pile would have found its way to my stance I would have merely squished down to an accordion shaped human, waddled away, and returned for the next episode.
In the book i mentioned that I'm currently reading my kindle, about a woman who hiked the pacific crest trail from the Majave desert to Oregon, she describes the contents of her backpack. Having never set out on such an ambitious backpacking adventure I found it interesting what one would bring on such an endeavor.
I then realized I never described in my blog the contents of my backpack. Taking into consideration my backpack is more conservatively packed than many people I've met or travelled with over the last six weeks, all of my belongings here on the backpackers road are as follows:
1. An orange REI brand 43 liter back pack that has been with me for 2 years and 4 months of adventures
2. A 70 meter long, 9.7mm diameter, bi-pattern climbing rope
3. 13 quickdraws for climbing, 11 of which I brought and 2 I scored on climbs in Thailand
4. Climbing harness, shoes, and chalk bag
- the above items take up roughly half the total available room
5. Clothes-athletic shorts, jeans, Thai fisherman pants, and zip off quick dry pants, one T-shirt, a tonsai beach tank top, a black knock-off Ralph Lauren polo (for when I don't want to look like a dirtbag;) ) a knock off leather belt to match, three changes of underwear and socks, knock off acteryx gloves, and a knock off jack wolf skin waterproof jacket. As you may have guessed I've taken advantage of china's well mad knock off industry.
Side note: when Charlie and I arrived in china we noticed how well dressed people were in every city we went to. After a few days we realized its not because everyone is wealthy, it's because all the name brand clothes can be found in china for a fraction of the price, and just slightly less quality than what can be bought in the western world for 5times or more the price.
6. My kindle, Iphone and charging cables to accompany
7. The guide book of whatever climbing area I'm currently at. When I left thailand I left the guide with a guiding service, and I'll do the same in yangshuo
8. First aid supplies, medications for common ailments on the Asian traveler's road, which thankfully I've had to use very few times only for very minor stomach issues, tiger balm... always a climbers best friend, and the typical toiletries toothbrush, deodorant, etc
All of that totals out to be about 38 pounds, give or take a couple. I've found this this to be quite manageable. Even at times when I've had to carry my bag around tropical Thailand for a full days time.
So there you go, you know what to pack, and where to go. Now get out and travel! Until next time, provided my not set a fire, or decapitated by falling rock or bamboo that is.
Zai jian,
-Jordan
Ok, Wily Coyote, those events mean you need to (continue to) PAY ATTENTION at all times. Paying attention to the details and good fortune (either 'luck' or an 'angel at your shoulder') is how you've managed to avoid injury thus far. So keep up the good work. sigh. Love you, <3 Mom
ReplyDelete