Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tonsai beach 11/13/12

   Sorry to disappoint readers but not a lot to report from the last few days. My days are filled with climbing, reading, swimming, and eating with friends. I have moved bungalows again, due to an obnoxious Thai boy band fan playing that awful music around the clock. By paying an additional 50 baht ($1.75) per night I'm in a much bigger cleaner room. The only downside is electricity is on for only 6 hours from 6pm to midnight and I have to fall asleep to the constant hum of a generator. However I would take the constant hum over the high pitched tones of Thai boybands any day.
    I have another climbing adventure to report from last night. While climbing at the thaiwand wall last night with two friends and a Russian woman who had just arrived to tonsai beach that day a torrential downpour came down, followed by a shockingly fast sunset. We had no headlamps and a steep, rocky, muddy trail to descend to get back to the beach. After 15 minutes or so of blindly walking, or sliding I should say, I realized I had my iPhone with a handy dandy flashlight app. Taking the lead I would continue on about 5 meters at a time then turn around and reveal the path to my followers. Though progress was slow and increasingly hard in flip flops we finally reached the trailhead.

1 comment:

  1. Sigh....I'm not sure if I should be grateful that you tell us everything you do..or should I wonder about what you don't tell us? ha ha, just kidding. I'm glad you remembered that you had a flashlight on your trusty iphone. The new 'boy scout knife'. Ha, maybe they should add a pocket knife to the next iphone. :-) Who was hiking in flip flops? Not you? Adding a headlamp to your backpack from now on? I suppose you'd eventually be carrying a suitcase on every excursion. :-) It was great talking with you on the phone this morning. Love love love hearing about how you're doing and hearing your voice. It feels like winter here now, we got a few inches of snow last night. It'll melt later in the week, but Wolfie is in malamuate paradise right now and likes to spend his evenings on the deck. It's a world away from Thailand. Love ya, glad you're doing super!! Mom

    ReplyDelete