Hampi, India is a very unique place in the world. And for the adventurous rock climbing soul it is one of a kind.
The climber's day in Hampi begins at 6:00am. Twenty or more climbers congregate in front of the most popular guest house in Hampi, drink a cup of chai tea and head out for the morning climbing session before the sun rises. After climbing in the morning I usually practice yoga in the grass near my clay-walled, thatch roofed hut. Or relax in my hammock and read my never ending supply of kindle books.
As for the food in India I have mixed opinions. Indian cuisine definitely has some tasty meals, but in general it's just a lot of spiced gravy and overcooked vegetables. However on the plus side of Hampi there are quite a few restaurants serving cuisines from around the world, so I don't have to only eat Indian.
The cost of the typical vegetarian meal with some nan or roti (Indian bread) is 80rupees ($1.50). And I am sharing a room with a friend, each paying only 200rupees ($4)/night. I believe I can sustain my travel addiction in India for some time to come :)
This is place is one of the most romantically peaceful places I've yet come across. However there is a beast to the beauty. Sanitary conditions of India aren't exactly ideal. As a result now due to either eating some bad chicken or catching a stomach flu that's going around and spending the night kneeling over a squat toilet, I'm still a little under the weather the following day. Times like this make traveling a difficult mind game. I would love to fly back home to mommy at this moment. But the rewards of the road are too great to give in that easily. Two days from now I'm sure I'll be climbing again with a smile on my face, two months from now perhaps I'll be looking over the immense beauty of the Himalayas. So I must push on, and take the good with the bad!
Getting sick there sounds hellish ! Glad you are feeling better :-)
ReplyDeleteI always said Indian food was a bowl of goo! Now you believe me! :) I miss you! I'm glad you're having fun!
ReplyDeleteI wish you could fly home to me too!! Find the port key or get some flue powder (a la Harry Potter)! I love you and I hope you continue to have only the best experiences!! It does sound amazing there.
ReplyDelete