Friday, January 18, 2013

Karen hill tribe trek

As our first day on the trail began I started to wonder why we were walking at such an annoyingly slow pace. However as time went on I began to understand why our guide was walking so nonchalantly. He was watching, always watching. Watching for the next to pull out of his hat. He grew up in a Karen hill tribe village and a vast knowledge of wild edibles and toys of the jungle, introduced to him as a child. Every so often he would stop and hand me a small flower with sweet nectar or would pick a length of elephant grass and tear it in such a way it soared through the air with shocking ease. At one point he shot his slingshot into the canopy of the jungle with no apparent target, but then 20-30 small thirst quenching fruits fell to the ground.
  After a 4hour hike full of countless tricks of the jungle we arrived at the Karen hill tribe village. Immediately we were greeted by a skinny woman with black teeth, not due to decay, but quite the contrary. She had been chewing seeds for years that are good for dental health, but as a side effect turn the teeth black as night. 
   An independent walk through the village revealed native children ecstatic to meet us, a new born puppy litter, and the tribes sacred farm animals that roam freely through the trails and huts. 
   We then helped prepare a delicious dinner of yellow potato, chicken curry and fried vegetables with the rice grown on the tribes rice patties. 
    Interaction with these caring, loving people proved that absolute happiness can be obtained much more readily by a close relationship with friends, family, and nature. These people weren't concerned with the stresses that plague the modern world. They were completely content with breathing good air of the mountains, and living a self sustained life in the wild. Our guide told a story of an old man from the village going to see the city after years of living in the village. The old man was in Chiang Mai for two days before he developed a city induced depression. In his native language he said "If some one doesn't drive me back tomorrow, I'm walking!"
   So after an incredible experience in Asia I'm now making my way Bangkok where I will fly out on the 21st to India. I am very excited to see what the next chapter of my travels has in store. I'm sure India will supply a fresh supply of stories and adventures! 
  

1 comment: