Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Kathmandu

    Kathmandu has been a pleasant introduction to Nepalese culture. With the aid of my friend Phil, who's been here 4 times prior, we've spent the last few days hanging out in local restaurants, and meeting people integrated in the local mountaineering culture. Yesterday we were taken to a small climbing area outside of the city with Sherpas, one of whom climbed Everest 8 times, to teach them trad climbing skills which is absent in the high mountains of the Himalayas.  
     I've found the Nepalese culture to be warm hearted and welcoming. Up to this point it is one of my favorite cultures I've come across in my travels. With its kind people and endless mountain playgrounds Nepal is bound to go down in my book as a favorite.
    But ofcourse we're not sticking around the city when we're in the midst of the mighty himalayas. After 4 days of preparation in Kathmandu Phil and I are ready to set out to the kanjanjunga area of the Himalayas. Kanjanjunga is one of the world's fourteen mountains above 8000 meters, and is tucked away in the most remote corner of Nepal.
    Far from the beaten path we'll hike from village to village through the mountains working our way to Kanjenjunga's base camp. Due to the remote region we'll be traveling to and the amount of equipment needed we'll hire a nepalese porter to help carry and to translate for us to local village people. After kanjenjunga base camp we'll then set our sights on the ultimate goal. Mt. Bokta, standing at 6114m, should present the sort of adventure I crave. The plan is to trek to the base of this mountain and set up base camp. The day following climb halfway to the summit to acclimatize and return to base camp. Then the next day we'll push for the summit. And the cherry on top of it all is the summit pitch to Mt. Bokta presents a less than vertical ice climbing section.
    This expedition should take 2-3 weeks to complete. I will be out of contact for that time. So you can expect some interesting blog posts of the expedition when I return towards the end of the month. Until then, wish me luck! 

1 comment:

  1. Be smart and intuitive. And of course enjoy the adventure.
    Call or email me as soon as you get internet again.
    I can't wait to climb mountains here in Colorado when you return! After the Himalayan altitude you probably will be able to hike 14ers roadrunner style!

    ReplyDelete